Maryland Family Law Attorneys
There is nothing more personal in life than the relationship we have with our families.
Family law is a practice that covers such things as establishing the legal and financial boundaries of a new relationship, resolving disputes among family members or spouses, and ensuring the future and protection of your loved ones.
Family law is a central part of our practice at Lusk Law, LLC, and many of our clients find that their business and personal interests are inherently joined to those of their family. For example, your pension benefits can sometimes be distributed to certain surviving family members. If you own a business, especially a family business, your interests and assets that relate to that business are also deeply connected to those you love.
For all aspects of family law, Lusk Law will work with you to make sure that your interests and the interests of your loved ones are taken care of. There are a number of considerations that a person must make in regard to their family. We will be with you every step of the way and provide you with experienced legal representation according to your specific needs.
Examples of Family Law Practice
- Divorce. – While a divorce is not the outcome a couple envision when they marry, it can sometimes be the wisest course of action for both parties, provided that it is done fairly and with the best interests of children in mind. Divorce sometimes includes other legal considerations, such as child custody, division of property, alimony and child support. High-asset divorces between individuals with high net worth can have additional complications. Learn more.
- Separation. While legal separation differs from divorce, it can involve many of the same considerations that a couple must take into account. In Maryland, separation is only one of many grounds for divorce, and is the only “no-fault” ground, meaning that it is not due to either person’s misconduct. But even after a separation, unless the divorce is mutual consent, the spouse seeking a divorce still has to prove that the requirements for divorce have been met.
- Property Division. Maryland is not a “community property” state. The “equal distribution” statute gives the court the power to divide marital property fairly, which doesn’t always mean equally. This can include homes and other real property, as well as anything that either spouse acquired during the marriage.
- Prenuptial Agreements. Prenuptial agreements, as well as postnuptial agreements, are not just tools used to determine what should happen if a marriage ends in divorce; they also are used to provide for the interests of loved ones during the marriage and after the marriage in the event the marriage ends by death. Through prenuptial agreements, a couple can demonstrate their level of commitment to one another, creating a strong foundation upon which a relationship can be built.
- Child Custody/Child Support. Many considerations must be made when determining the custody of a child. Both parents and the courts will consider the well-being and interests of the child, and the ability of each parent to provide for the child. Child support is calculated based on the custody of the children, the income of the parents, and certain expenses for the children.
An attorney is a vital part of protecting the interests of a parent and their children in any dispute regarding child custody and support.
- Custody Modifications. After initial custody parameters are set, there will often be cause to modify the original order set forth by the family courts. A relocation of one of the parents, changes in the health of a parent or income changes are just a few examples that might change the court’s decisions on allocation of custody.
- Benefits and Survivorship. Family law is also a practice which can sometimes be entwined with estate planning. Determining how your assets will be distributed upon your passing is a key consideration to ensure the wellbeing of your loved ones.
Law Offices in Frederick County MD
Legal and financial decisions regarding your family do not occur in a vacuum. In other words, your business, finances and real estate are going to be linked either directly or indirectly to those closest to you. This is why we are proud to offer our clients comprehensive legal services that take every aspect of your personal and professional life into account.
The attorneys at Lusk Law, LLC, are qualified to represent clients in a wide range of services, such as representing a business owner in family law matters.
No matter what your particular legal needs might be, our Maryland family law attorneys will be available to help you determine the best course of action for you and your family. Contact Lusk Law, LLC, today to learn more about what we can do for you.
Our Legal Services
PAYCHECK PROTECTION PROGRAM
Please find this memo to be a summary of information that covers the new Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) that is part of the CARES ACT. This memo is by…